We will bring you from the places where the first Jews in Lviv settled under Polish king Kazimir the Great to the places where they still celebrate today. Our tour has the aim to raise your awareness to find the little details, like a mezuza or inscriptions on the wall. We will bring you to the places where Jews in Lviv prayed and disputed. Once home to 44 synagogues, now we have only 2 buildings left that still serve purposes of the Jewish community. We will make one of it part of the tour and explain you the problems that Jews in Lviv face nowadays.
Finding out about famous people from Jewish Lviv
Lviv has a rich Jewish cultural history. Did you know that the most famous Yiddish theater was established in Lviv and brought up some famous New York theater actors? Lviv was also home to famous singers, poets, writers and architects. Here are just a few to name:
- famous Yiddish poet Sholem Alecheim, who wrote the story for Fiddler on the Roof
- nazi-hunter Simon Wiesenthal who diccovered hundreds of war criminals
- Polish science fiction author Stanislaw Lem – an inspiration to generations of sci-fi fans
- Yiddish-speaking actrice Bertha Kalich who gained fame even in New York city
- Ukrainian painter Erno Erb whose works can still be seen in the Lviv Art Gallery
There are so many people and places to discover, we could fill days with just this. That’s why we focus on narrowing it down to presenting the best of those things to you!